Thursday 3 May 2007

nothing much

I have done nothing exciting in those last two days. I have written many e-mails to probe and datalogger manufacturers, used many handkerchiefs, washed my clothes, went to bed early, drank tea and was treated to some more excellent mournful Andean brass music from a little military band that marched up and down the road both last night and then again at lunchtime today. A little later some cannon shots were frired from a hill not far away, but nobody in the office took any notice and so I will never know what kind of national celebration it was.
People here work long hours - it's 18.23 and there is no sign of anybody going home. Most of them seem to get up around six and are in the office by eight. Times are flexible, though, and some go away to have a long break in the middle of the day.
I also went to the supermarket where the security guard wanted me to hand over my rucksack. Since that had my computer inside I was very unwilling and did what foreigners do in such cases - I looked stupid until he gave up.
My most exciting entertainment was a visit to Wanchaq market to have some keys made. The markets here are great, at least for people who like bargains.

No comments: